Friday, September 28, 2012

Fish and Cheese Chowder

Since I've been pregnant, I've had a hard time eating any kind of fish except tuna fish. Fish that has low mercury levels, such as tuna, are great for you, especially when you're pregnant and little brains are developing. I've heard it recommended that you eat fish 2-3 times per week. Any more than that could be too much mercury.

But I get tired of just of tuna after a while. And any other fish makes me nauseous. But I found this soup recipe in my book of collected recipes. It's something that I found and clipped from a copy of the very first issue of Country magazine about ten years ago. I thought it might be worth a try. I modified it slightly from the original version, and it was great! It's definitely something I can eat without getting sick.

I used tilapia fillets for this recipe, but you could probably use whatever kind of fish suits you best. The recipe didn't specify what kind of fish to use.

Fish and Cheese Chowder

3/4 lb fish fillets, fresh or frozen
2 T. butter
1/2 onion, chopped
1 large diced carrot
1 stalk of celery, chopped
1/4 c. flour
1/2 t. salt
dash of paprika
1 14-oz can low sodium chicken broth
3 c. milk
1 c. cheddar cheese

If fish is frozen, thaw it for about 30 minutes. Melt butter in large saucepan. Add vegetables. Saute until onion is transparent. Meanwhile, cut fish into 1/2 inch cubes. Blend in flour, salt and paprika. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Very gradually add milk and broth. Cook, stirring constantly until thickened. Add fish and simmer until fish flakes easily with a fork, about 5 minutes for fresh fish and 10 for frozen. Add cheese and stir until melted.

Here are the veggies I chopped while the butter was melting.

Saute your veggies in the melted butter until the onion is transparent.


Cut the fish fillets into 1/2 inch cubes while the veggies are sauteing.
Gradually add broth and milk before adding fish.

Simmer until the fish flakes easily with a fork.

No comments:

Post a Comment